Out of the Office Header  

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

DIY: Patterned Cork Coasters


Hi friends! Sorry for the long blog silence. Life has been crazy but I have some very exciting things on the horizon! More about that soon.

Today I want to share a little DIY project. I've been trying to come up with ways to make our living room seem more "finished". I'm happy with our over-all decor, but the space needs a few finishing touches. Sometimes it's the fun little details that make all the difference, right?

So - coasters! I'm embarrassed to say that we've been using a mish-mash of cardboard bar coasters for years (classy, I know). Time for an update.



Materials:
-Cork board (3/16" thick)
-Painter's tape (3/4" wide is ideal)
-White acrylic paint
-Paint brush
-Xacto knife + blades
-Ruler
-Cutting mat
-Pencil
-Tracing paper or wax paper



Step 1:
Cut the cork into 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares (I made a set of 4, but you could make more if you're feeling ambitious).



Step 2:
Use the tape to mask off a pattern on the squares. For this side I decided to do diagonal lines. Placing the coasters together creates a pretty diamond pattern.


Step 3:
Paint! I applied a medium coat of paint - I wanted to cover the cork but not completely obscure the natural texture.


 Step 4:
Once that side of the coasters dried, I flipped them over and started taping off the second pattern.


I created a 7" x 7" square on a piece of tracing paper, and then drew out my chevron pattern (each stripe is 3/4" wide, the width of the painter's tape). I arranged the tape on the tracing payer, then cut the whole thing into 4 squares. I then transferred the tape to each coaster, making sure the pattern would match up.



Repeat Step 3: Paint those babies!


So there you have it, some snazzy new coasters. I think they will look lovely on the coffee table... 

Let me know if you try this project (or make up something similar on your own.) I'd love to see the results!

xo, Jeni


No comments :

Post a Comment